The Founding of Osborne City [Kansas] by the Pennsylvania Dutch Colony
http://www.kansastowns.us/osbhist.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the "Osborne County Farmer" May 19, 1876.
The Pennsylvania, or "Dutch Colony"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Pennsylvania colony, which received its local name of "Dutch Colony" in Osborne county, comprised individuals from Lancaster and Berks counties, Pennsylvania, those from the former, led by Col. W. L. Bear, and those of the latter by Maj. H. D. Markley. It is a fact which may be received with satisfaction, that this colony, which acted so prominent a part of the county's history, was organized and conducted upon purely republican principles, every member having a voice in all its actions and proceedings. The following persons composed the original number who took claims and settled in and around the sections located for the town-site. Isaac N. Bair, John A. Boring, Col W. L. Bear, Benj. Baker, James Davidson and son, Jacob Eaby, Emanuel Smith, Emanuel Elmer, Hiram E. Fraley, John Fuller, Alfred N. Fritchey, E. B. Fry, Jacob Getz, F. R. Gruger, J. F. Goodhart, Milton Haffeditz, Henry H. Harp, Geo. W. Kendig, William J. Kendig, Isaac L. Kendig, Geo. Krippner, Henry Landis, John P. Milley, Maj. H. D. Markley, Joseph N. Morrow, William S. Neff, Richard S. Ruth, William Rader, John Sherley, Joseph Sweigart, God. E. Spotz, Dr. J. P. Moore, David Tindal, James Tindal, Henry Waters and son, William Young, Mrs. Ruth and two children, and two minors. Of the above number, twenty-two had families, which did not join the colony, however, until September following. Nearly every member could speak the German language, hence their title "Dutch Colony," although but one was of foreign birth, and none spoke Dutch.....................
........................
Continued in the June 9,1876 issue of the "Osborne County Farmer".
The Pennsylvania, or "Dutch Colony"
.............................. On the 5th of December 1871, the members of the colony were called upon for the first time to consign to its last resting place the remains of one of their number. Mr. Wm. Rader, brought with him several of his nephews from the east, one of them Johnny Mumma, aged eleven years, after a short illness gave up his young life. There being no clergyman at hand, the funeral services were conducted by Col. Bear, who used the Moravian burial service on the occasion. The colony, as such, ceased its existence when the sale of their property was effected in July, 1871, and their interested had by this time become so fully identified with those who settled around them, that their history afterwards belonged to, and is part of the history of the county.